Saturday, September 19, 2009

Taking a Break From All Your Worries

Gotta love a title that references Cheers, even if the resulting episode isn't very cheery. I like Baltar, so I like this one okay since it is Baltar-centric. If Baltar is so concerned that he is a Cylon, why doesn't he just get another warhead and use his little Cylon detector to find out? Isn't this the obvious answer?

I really am hating Roslin more and more. Even as a bluff, her attitude toward Baltar and the threat to toss him out an airlock are not cool. If she's not bluffing, then she is a liar who claims to want fair trials, then goes vigilante when it suits her. So calling her bluff is not so hard as she may think. If she is bluffing, then she's a mean liar. Either way she's lying. How is she still President?

The drug interrogation scenes were interesting. Baltar confesses, but only to the fact that he didn't intentionally do anything. Good for him. The water scenes were suitably unsettling, but I've got a significant fear of drowning, so maybe I'm just extra troubled by them. I hated the dream sequence where he woke up on the base star after his attempted suicide. There is no way I will accept that Baltar is a Cylon. 

Why are Tyrol and Callie fighting? They talk about it, and it's enough to drive Tyrol to the bar, but what's it about? I thought they were great together. And that whole nightmare/beating thing last season was really non sequitur, wasn't it?!

The B-stories about Lee, Kara and their marriages are predictable. I'm glad that the each resolve to stay with their spouses at the end. I was really getting tired of this story going on and on. The scene with Lee having lost his wedding ring was straight out of sitcom 101. Thankfully, it didn't get to the usual end, where the lead gets a replacement ring and the wife never knows the difference.

It is revealed, or suggested, that Baltar knew Gaeta was an informant and allowed it. If this is true, it is great news! It somewhat redeems Baltar. Gaeta may feel personally betrayed, but good for Baltar for calling him out. I like that Baltar talks about literally having a gun to his head. It's a good scene.

Overall, there are engaging moments in this one. Maybe it doesn't all hold together, as the story is a bit drawn out and drags a little, but for Baltar fans there is good stuff. I have vague memories of some of this, so this may in fact be the first episode I saw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment