Saturday, September 26, 2009

Six of One

I am starting to get tired of these stand-offs with characters pointing guns at each other. Though I didn't expect Roslin to actually shoot Kara. It's a shame she missed. The whole notion of "going the wrong way" is frustratingly familiar, but I don't know what it's reminding me of.

In the end, Kara was given a ship to go follow her head-ringing on her own. This seemed to me the obvious solution from the beginning. You don't trust her, and you don't want to endanger the fleet, so you send someone with her to follow her nose. That way she shuts up, and you don't have to worry as much. It all seemed the easiest solution. Why did it take all the yelling and fighting for them to get to that point? Also, if they are taking a sewage treatment ship, will the fleet have another ship to treat their sewage? ...And are we to believe this is all done on one ship? Really??? Is all the waste collected and then shuttled over to the ship? Does the Demetrius make the rounds of the fleet every week, hooking up and pumping their sewage away for them?

Tory with Baltar is an odd combination. I like Tigh's reasoning behind it: Baltar is best at "lying in his cell and lying in a woman". Should that be lie or lay? And there's that beautiful moment when Baltar describes providence as a the melody born from a cacophonous orchestra. I love that we hear that subtly underneath the scene. 

I'm supposed to believe that Baltar is seeing head-Baltar now too?? Who or what is it, already?! And where is Caprica Six? What are they doing with her? While it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, at least the effects are good. BSG has some of the best "doubles" scenes I've ever seen. You believe that the two Baltars are there.

Why is Tory crying? Is she upset about stooping to this level with a man she seems to hate? Or does she truly always cry after sex? It's a curious moment, but nice when Baltar discusses the nature of feelings, and how Cylons have them too.

Meanwhile, the Cylons are in the midst of upheaval. They take a vote, but 3 models vote to lobotomize the Raiders, and 3 vote not to. Only when Boomer sides with Caval does the vote sway. I wonder how Caprica Six would have voted. Can I ask, 1) why vote when there's a possibility of a tie? and 2) when it did tie, why didn't they un-box the Threes and let them vote? Wouldn't that have made sense? Giving self-awareness to the Centurions is interesting, and more in keeping with the older versions of them. But what exactly is to be accomplished by gunning down the Cylons? They will just resurrect! The best thing to do with them would be to forcibly remove them and make them comatose. That way they can't resurrect, but they can't do anymore damage. Why don't the Cylons think this way? I also find it interesting that the issue with the Raiders ultimately becomes something of a discussion on animal cruelty.

I don't particularly understand why discussing the Final Five is forbidden. Someone just programmed that into them? Doesn't every mention of 12 models essentially refer to the Final Five? I think the whole "final five" thing is ultimately lame anyway. If it is forbidden to speak of them, why were they even programmed with the knowledge of them? Would it not have been better to program them to believe there were only 7 models?

I really like Lee's little send-offs. The drinks with the pilots was a nice touch (and did I notice a strip poker game? Or would that be strip-triad? Strip-pyramid?). The moment when everyone saluted was great, and it was good to see Dualla again, though I'm annoyed that their marriage is over, and NOT over because of Kara. Oh, and I hated the kiss in Kara's cell. I'm so tired of it. I don't want the two of them together! I also really loved the new version of "Wander My Friends" that scored the farewell scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment