Monday, September 7, 2009

Epiphanies

Ah, so we've gone back to the miniseries. It's good to see Caprica all green and pretty again. It's also interesting that during the miniseries there was apparantly a teacher strike back on Caprica. Funny how we never heard about it. It was good to finally see President Adar.

The onscreen caption tells us that the miniseries was 189 days ago. This means they have in fact been in space for roughly a little over six months, making the estimate on Roslin's cancer pretty accurate.

I was annoyed that this was going to become "the abortion episode". It reminded me of The Omen with all the "you should kill it while it slumbers in the womb!" stuff. It brings a kind of philosophical argument into play. Do you go back in time and kill Hitler, as it were, or would you feel bad about killing a kid? Like Lost just did last year, where the act of saving Ben was what ultimately led to him being evil. But generally, I'm not sure I see what the big threat is here. If the baby is a threat, so is the Cylon carrying it. You might as well just kill them both at this point. And actually, it doesn't seem to be as much an abortion issue, as those usually come down to the rights of the mother, but in this case they are mandating termination against her will.

This is a bit of a digression, but I find the shift in terminology fascinating. You used to hear "abortion" a lot more. This is a word born from non-medical processes. If a project goes awry, you abort it, as in don't let it come to fruition. It's sort of an inocuous word. But now, as the radical pro-choicers try more and more to convince others that a fetus is not a person, and that it isn't murder, I see the word "termination" being used with frequency. "Termination" to me sounds MORE like killing and murder. I think of The Terminator or the local exterminator. I think of "Terminate with extreme prejudice!" So it's curious to me that the more the argument is made that it isn't killing, the word used has a harsher connotation. Digression over.

I like Sharon's fury as she throws herself into the glass saying they won't get her baby. I also like that she's starting to show.

How did prisoner-Six get off the Pegasus? We've never seen shuttles like the old show had, I don't think. People come and go by Raptor. But I doubt she stole a Raptor or she'd be caught. Maybe someone was heading to Cloud Nine and she stowed away secretly? And I know weeks have gone by, but where are the big welts on her back? Would they have healed so quickly? Do Cylons have a faster healing time? I guess the discussion of Cylon blood did suggest that.

It was good to see Dr. Baltar actually be a doctor for once.

Oh sheesh, now it's a stem cell episode! The fetus inside contains the magical cure for cancer! That also was very worrying to me. I think what works about it, and separates it from the stem cell issue is that here the idea is NOT to terminate the fetus. Instead, they MUST keep it alive for the sake of that cure. 

Apparently, Roslin has discovered in the deep recesses of her brain that Baltar colluded with Cylons. What will she do with this information? How does she react when she learns that her cancer was cured by the Cylon baby? Will she feel dirty that she has Cylon blood in her?

As much as I'm glad the cancer thing is over with, because I never liked it anyway, it does remind me of X-Files again. Roslin's magical alien cure is a bit too similar to Scully's magical alien cure for me.

Why does Six keep playing Baltar, and why is he too stupid to realize? What will the Cylons do with a nuclear warhead?? Is their agenda really peace, albeit through radical means, or is this a smokescreen? It was good to see those radicals though. I always like knowing what the civilians are up to, and how they feel about things. Half the time you forget there is even a civilian fleet. There was something refreshing about it being humans, and not Cylons, who were sabotaging everything. But then there was a Cylon behind it anyway. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment