Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Day in the Life

The bits with Adama and his ex-wife don't do much for me. Taking these imaginary conversations into his house seems far too similar to Baltar and Six. I don't feel like I really ever needed to meet his wife. The fact that it is his anniversary and he is thinking about her is fine. Even the fact that she was a mean drunk is fine. I just don't know that we needed to SEE her and have him argue with her. It was as if she was some demon that he had to exorcise. All that "No! Don't listen to him!" business became laughable. What was it about her that he loved? The revelation of her past was an interesting wrinkle, though not surprising. I don't know that it matters much, except to showcase even more reasons for Lee to dislike his dad.

I like that Lee has an interest in law and I think it is perfectly in keeping with his character to date. We know his grandfather was a lawyer. We know Lee has a love of justice and the democratic process working. Going all the way back to "Bastille Day", I can see a Lee Adama who cares enough for proper legal procedure. The gift of his grandfather's law library was a nice touch. I hope the Baltar trial pays off.

We learn that there is a day care center, which is where the Tyrols put Nicholas, and where the Agathons must put Hera. I don't really see why Callie and Tyrol don't just switch off, since she works for him. But then we got that great bit in the tube where he says he did it just out of selfishness, so he could be close to her. I like all the stuff with them trapped in the tube. It's a bit familiar, but it's well done. We find out about their struggles, which sheds light on the fight we never got to see a few episodes ago. Note however the need for technobabble excuses to set up the rescue. "Why can't we just blow open the glass?" "Well, the glass is made to withstand tillium explosions of blah blah blah." 

I like the scene of Adama shaving early on, as it echoes the scene in "33". There are a few other good beats. Unfortunately, though, most of the day in the life of Commander Adama is not too engaging. I'm getting tired of his flirtation with Roslin (and her silly inappropriate giggles and guffaws are really irritating me). But the Callie/Tyrol story is good. Who can help but be moved by the image of Callie in the iron lung with the hands up against the glass?

Not everything works about this episode, but enough of it is memorable that I wouldn't mind watching it again. It's not entirely cohesive, but it has some standout moments of this season for me. I'd take this over New Caprica any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment