Thursday, September 3, 2009

Resistance

Finally there are some other humans on Caprica! It was starting to get ridiculous. It's cool that they are professional athletes now called on to be fighters. They know how to work as a team, so that's a plus, but they aren't military. As he says, most of their ideas are from movies. I should mention though that Moore has confused two games. The card game is called pyramid. This game is called triad. One day he got them mixed up and he's been calling them by the other name ever since. It would be okay if he hadn't already established on the show that the card game was called pyramid. It reminds me of the confusion about Birdo and Ostro in Super Mario Bros. 2. The manual for the US release called the ostrich thing Birdo and the egg-spitting thing Ostro. But the cartoon and all subsequent games have the names the other way. Certainly Ostro the Ostrich makes more sense. Apparently there was some confusion when the game was released because I guess the egg-spitter is supposed to be named Birdo. ...I've strayed a bit off-topic, but it's something I think about. (To this day I can't bring myself to say Princess Peach; it will always be Princess Toadstool that I grew up with.)

Six gets offended at the term "toaster" for Cylon and calls it racist. No it isn't. I'm tired of the word "racist" being thrown around all the time. It isn't racist because Cylons are not a race. Similarly calling, for example, Mexicans "wetbacks" is not racist because Mexican is not a race, it is a national identity tied to ethnicity. Is it a slur and an offensive epithet? Yes. Racist? No.

I am so tired of the women manipulating men on this show! Sharon manipulates Helo. Six manipulates Gaius. And Ellen does nothing but manipulate Tigh. To his credit, he calls her on it in this episode and I was glad of that. ...but then that dissolved into sex! They have some weird relationship.

Baltar went all Sayid on Boomer in this episode. I love that scene where you think he's coming in to test the Chief's blood, and instead extorts Boomer for information. We now know there are 8 Cylons in the fleet. I wonder if the stuff he injected the Chief with would really have stopped all brainstem function in ten seconds. Because he seems to revive him after ten seconds have passed. It's just as effective as a bluff to add that clock to it. Is that what he did? Bluff?

Even though it's an indoor game, I like the outdoor "pyramid" game.

I don't really blame Tigh for the dead civilians on the Gideon (oh, and good to see another ship for once!). The fault lies with the men who fired. Yes, they were there on his orders, and yes they were probably undermanned, but he never would have authorized that kind of force. The situation reminded me of other moments in the nation's history, but especially of something that happened some years ago in Boston. When the Red Sox were in at the top of their game, I think around when they won the 2004 World Series, there was a death. It was after a home game, and fans were excited and rioting in the streets (I don't know why they do that). Police began firing supposedly non-lethal rounds. An Emerson College student named Tori Snelgrove was shot and killed. I was at Emerson at the time and it shocked the community. She wasn't rioting. She was just caught in the midst of it all and died. So this episode reminded me of that incident. Yet I don't recall blaming the mayor or the governor or the President for Tori's death. I blamed the cops who shot her. So I do think Tigh takes a bit too much flack here, but it's still a sad situation. ...Though I suppose even this is different because Tori was innocent, and the dead civilians on the Gideon were not.

I have to say I hate the Jack Ruby moment at the end of the episode. It's far too obviously a callback to that actual incident. Does that make Boomer the Oswald? Is Adama the Kennedy? Because that analogy doesn't work. It's really more Hinkley/Reagan than Oswald/Kennedy. And I hate that Callie does it. I like Callie. I was all for her punching that guy. But shooting people? Come on. 

2 comments:

  1. The instance of the soldiers shooting civilians in the film was based on the 1770 Boston Massacre where poorly organized young British troops fired on a crowd of hecklers who were throwing sharp clamshells embedded in snowballs at them. Moore took this out of history books, I had a chuckle about the bit about "Reminding me of something that happened in Boston some years back" only to completely miss the obvious and instead bring up a recent sporting event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's weird, I never made the connection to the Boston Massacre, maybe because in Boston we are essentially conditioned not to side with the British. So my first thought isn't to identify with characters like Redcoats.

    Now that you mention it, that juxtaposition is funny! The other incident was far more recent and had a more personal connection, so that's why it came to mind.

    ReplyDelete