Saturday, September 19, 2009

Rapture

This is also the title of an episode of DS9. Okay, now that I got that out of my system, let's look at the episode proper.

I find it very funny that they put an onscreen caption listing the location as "Algae Planet". Do we really even need this? Have they decided that's an official name for it, like Sherman's Planet in "Trouble With Tribbles"?

Was anyone surprised about the Eye of Jupiter being a nova? After all those shots of the star in "Eye of Jupiter" it's like they were hitting us over the head with it. And why is there even a temple? You can see the "eye of Jupiter" without being inside. Did being inside really make a difference? Well, maybe for D'Anna. But the logic of there even being a temple there is suspect to me. It was built there because years ago there was a different nova they saw? What is the rest of the temple for? There's a pillar, and some short pillar things that I guess are just decorative? It was all just sort of whatever to me.

D'Anna saw the final five. Does that make her the chosen one? Who was it she saw at the end? I really don't even get the whole Final Five thing. We are being told that they are godlike beings who also appear in the Colonists' scriptures. But how does that make any sense? How is ancient god-beings in any way related to humanoid Cylon models?? And why do they know about them? And why are they numbered non-consecutively? We know D'Anna is a 3, Six is, well, a 6, and Boomer is an 8. I'm not liking where this story is going.

Glad Sharon got the baby back, but I'm disappointed that there is no resolution to what was wrong with her. Was it just really bad constipation, and is she okay now?

Love it when Tyrol clocks Baltar. 

This episode was pretty bland for me. It resolves most of the elements from before, but I don't really care. I didn't expect Adama to nuke anyone. I didn't expect to learn Baltar was a Cylon. I anticipated the nova being the eye. So really, I got little out of this one. And the little bit about Kara's wall-art relating to the mandala is troubling. It does connect with elements dangling from the first season, but also feels very much like an afterthought. If Kara turns out to be a Cylon, I will throw up my hands and cry foul.

No comments:

Post a Comment