Sunday, September 6, 2009

the other Pegasus

Well, I've now watched the shorter version of "Pegasus" that originally aired. The extended cut is definitely better. While there is a certain urgency to this version that I like, there are also elements that I miss. Some cuts seem really choppy because of the edit. For example cutting directly from Thorne, Baltar and Cain in the corridor to Cain and Adama in her office. 

There are some elements that I don't really miss. As I suspected, Callie's "bullshit" was cut out. Some of the extended beats on jokes or dramatic moments aren't needed. While Adama's discussion of Cain's backstory is interesting, the episode's pacing works without it. 

Other bits I'm sad to see go. Certainly the early scene with Cain explaining how the Pegasus survived runs long in the other cut, but here we miss out on two key points. First, why the ship wasn't susceptible to the virus, and second the fact that the Cylons have been following the Galactica. I miss the scene with Baltar showing Cain Sharon, as it provides context for what comes next. I liked the opening with Kara wanting to go back to Caprica. It doesn't have much to do with this episode, but it was a nice callback to the earlier story thread. Plus now we don't know why Roslin is there when Adama gets the call about the ship. 

After watching both rapes (there's a phrase you don't use often, I hope), the extended is better. I still don't like a few of the shots, but on the whole it feels more traumatic, as it should. I'm not sure this cut justifies the reaction we get from Sharon. Also, I didn't mention in the other post that it's a nice element to have both Helo and Tyrol save her. They may be at odds about their feelings, but they both love her, and it's great to see them team up to save her.

Ultimately, though at times it drags unnecessarily, the longer cut is stronger. It makes me wish we could have 50 minutes of screen time rather than 40. There are far too many ads these days, or maybe the ads are just too long. Either way, we continue to lose actual show time even as the advertise on top of the episode and during credits!

No comments:

Post a Comment