Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Maelstrom

The recurring mandala image throughout the episode started to annoy me because it ultimately didn't go anywhere. It was just a visual way to seem like threads were being connected when they were not. I am tired of seeing stories where the character is gruff because of abuse in childhood. That's the default background for many characters. I don't understand Kara's mother as a character. She definitely dreamed something important, and knew something about Kara. I can understand pushing her, since many mothers do that. But why the finger-breaking and all? 

Who is this Leoban that was taking her through her magical mystery tour? Is he another one of those angel Cylons, like head-Six is? I'm bothered by the issue of their not being a Cylon Raider in the storm. The episode seems to say only Kara saw it. But in one of those early shots, we SAW it fly by. Were we in Kara's perspective? I don't think so. I remember seeing it more objectively. This is hard to remember when they go by so fast, but if we did indeed see it, that makes this more complicated.

I am no fan of Kara so I did not enjoy this episode. The saving grace is that she died. Hooray! The worst thing about her death though is knowing that that cannot possibly be the end for her. She has a special destiny, and that is to kill herself on a gas giant? No. This unfortunately will mean some sort of metaphysical return, which means I can only be partially happy she's gone. 

If she ends up being a Cylon, I am crying foul.

No comments:

Post a Comment