Thursday, August 27, 2009

You Can't Go Home Again

After "Act of Contrition" which I am just not a fan of, I am happy to report that the second part is so good! Here's a BSG I actually wouldn't mind watching again.

We haven't talked much about the use of "frak" on this show. It's certainly more colorful than on the original (and spelled differently). I may reserve comment on its use for my season one wrap-up. But when Adama tells President Roslin, "Frak the odds!" and she seems sort of shocked. He seems apologetic. Is it so bad to say "frak" around the President? That's certainly different from Boxey's "frack" getting met with a little smirk.

I take back my complaints about Cylons not being cyborgs. In this episode, we learn that Cylon Raiders are organic inside; that is, they are cyborgs! This must also mean that the humanoid Cylons are completely biological, and not "synthetic" as Baltar's lie in the miniseries indicated. That does beg the question just where does their "machine" part come in, though. The Centurions seem to be completely robotic. Is the organic tissue a recent development? In any case, I'm glad to see it, because it really calls back to what the Cylons were supposed to be originally. 

Question: if the Cylon Raiders are individual entities, and not piloted by Cylons, how do Cylons get from one place to another? Do they have some sort of shuttle? Do they sit in the guts like Starbuck did (unlikely with a brain in the way), or do they have some kind of transporter technology?

I'm no big Kara fan, but I thought they used her pretty well here. Also, is it just me, or does her storyline on the planet slightly resemble "The Return of Starbuck"? She crashes, along with a Cylon ship. She "befriends" the Cylon by fixing it up to help her survive. 

I know it makes me a bit of a killjoy, but... when exactly did Starbuck put her name on the wing of the ship? She wouldn't have done it beforehand, and I doubt that she got the ship flying, then went back outside and did it, then came back in. ...Plus her oxygen situation makes it unlikely. There's no seeming time for her to do it, and no good motivation to have done it. Kinda spoils the ending, doesn't it?

That nonsense aside, this was an enjoyable episode, and I have little bad to say about it. It may be my favorite episode so far.

Favorite line: "If it were you, we'd never leave." The Adamas' relationship is often strained and a lot is unsaid, but who can help but react after a line like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment