Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Act of Contrition

I knew it, I just knew we'd get a flashback involving the Zack death. Unfortunately, we don't actually see that, just him and Starbuck gettin' busy.

This is the BSG I remeber; boring. Sorry, I don't like Kara Thrace, and this episode did nothing to change that for me. The entire episode went back and forth in time too much, re-using the same thing half the time. I don't think we stayed in the same time frame for even five minutes. (Please don't leave comments saying you clocked each scene and I'm wrong.) 

Under all of that stuff though, is an element from the original, and that is the untrained becoming pilots. I wondered if they'd get to this. I do somewhat miss the "all girl" element to it though. Also, the lack of flight simulators. So much of it differs. Dirk Benedict's Starbuck was a good teacher. Kara is hard for no reason. Oh, because she's harboring guilt, right? Well, everyone's harboring guilt on this show. It's the driving theme. It's all every episode is about. And "Hot Dog" may be the dumbest nickname since Greenbean. 

One thing I should mention: I think this may be the first episode where I did not notice unnecessary zooming in the exteriors. It was so nice to see ships and just leave it at that!

Throughout the episode we are teased with bits of Starbuck's Viper going down in flames. We have no context for this scene. Finally, it comes at the very end. When the episode finally explains that stuff, we cut to "To be continued". REALLY? We finally find out what's happening, then you leave us hanging? Did this episode come up short, that we had to see the same thing so many times? Or maybe the resolution ran long, so they broke that off as a separate episode and padded this one out with repetition. In any case, I hate that the opening image of the episode is from a scene that doesn't resolve. I hope the next episode and its resolution are better than this one was. I was just anxiously waiting for it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment