Thursday, August 27, 2009

Six Degrees of Seperation

Baltar is put on a no-fly list? Again, this smacks of just referencing recent American issues just to seem "relevant". I'm not sure anyone can really be put on a "no fly" list at this point...

Someone mentions that the Cylon Centurions or Raiders (I forget which) are "genetically engineered to be fighters". This yet again smacks of Deep Space Nine, as the Jem'Hadar were the Dominion's fighting force, bred to be killers. That puts the humanoid Cylons as Vorta, and the Centurions as Jem'Hadar. I guess then "God" would be the Founders. I'm troubled that I can see these connections so easily.

Poor Baltar. He finally submits himself to the Cylon God (whatever that is). I guess it's true that there are no atheists in foxholes. 

This was a tough little story. We knew that Baltar was innocent (pretty much), but he couldn't really say too much for fear that he really seem culpable. Who was that woman? Was it Six in a personified form, or a different Six? Does anyone else find it straining credibility that so many Cylon copies appear to be milling about the fleet? And then she mysteriously disappeared. Maybe that does prove my transporter theory.

I've blasted the exterior zooms, but I actually like the ones in this episode. The show opens with a zoom in, and closes with a mirrored zoom out. They function like bookends, bringing us into the story, then letting us out again. Just another day in the fleet. I like that.

I stand by my earlier assessment that Baltar is almost the protagonist of the series. It still bothers me that he is really not a villain at all. I like him, I do. And I like stories of people trying to had misdeeds; that's why I watch Breaking Bad. But these can only stretch so far before they become repetitive. I hope they don't drag this on for the entire run of the show. This was a decent episode though. 

Oh! I get it! I've been trying to ascertain the meaning of the title; was it a reference to the play and film of the same name? But then it hit me, duh... it references the character of Six.

Favorite line: "No more Mr. Nice Gaius."

No comments:

Post a Comment