Monday, August 24, 2009

33

The series begins! And it begins as if the miniseries were a pilot, which it sort of was.

Why are the Cylons attacking at 33 minute intervals? This is asked, but not answered. And from the use of "minutes" I guess they've thrown out the whole "centons" thing too. 

I really like the Base Stars! They pay tribute to the design of the old ones, but do away with the clamshell design. From above or below, they really would look like stars; like ninja throwing stars!

I still don't like that Baltar is crazy and daydreaming all the time. But they've introduced a new element here, where he goes to his home in his mind. I guess when he panics he goes to his happy place. I like this because it allows us those moments of brightness that I mentioned were lacking in the miniseries. The powers that be seem to have realized this as well, as the hangar bay also seems significantly brighter.

I like this Col. Tigh a little better. He's lightened up some. Maybe he's not drinking. Still, it's good to see that all those things that don't work in the miniseries are getting slightly honed here.

Why are the Cylons religious? What would lead a race of robots to believe in a supernatural power? All that stuff about Gaius having to repent seemed a bit forced for me, especially because I'm not sure what he has to repent of. He was played for a sap! It's just him trying to assuage his own guilt. Which again begs the question, is that Number Six truly just an expression of Baltar's unconscious or not? If so, then perhaps he is trying to convince his own rational mind to have faith.

When the episode began, I couldn't figure out how the Cylons were constantly finding them if they were always jumping. To me, it seemed obvious that there had to be Cylon infiltration on one of those ships. It didn't seem to be Boomer. So I wasn't surprised they had to blow up a ship. I can see people feeling guilty about killing civilians, but we don't KNOW that there were civilians on that ship! I for one believe there were not. Or at least not the 1300 there were supposed to be. 

I dislike that Helo is alive on Caprica. Why must we keep going back to Caprica? And now we've got an imposter Boomer there with him. This can't end well.

I like the little "R & D TV" animation at the end, because who doesn't want to bash in Ron Moore's head with a bat every now and then?

No comments:

Post a Comment