Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Someone to Watch Over Me

I'm glad to see that there's a new Quorum of sorts, just as Lee suggested. That was pretty quick. But I am shocked that they actually went through with allowing Cylon representation in this quorum. That seems flatly ridiculous to me. Why isn't there more opposition to this? Were all those who would have complained silenced after the mutiny?

The show has spent so much time with silly things like New Caprica, the Final Five, and Baltar the underground hero that I had actually completely forgotten that Boomer and Tyrol were an item. Curious, but true. I like the little montage thing they did showing her being shot while we heard Tyrol's drunken ramblings from earlier in the season about how he settled for Callie. The additional information about Boomer's projection life of a house on Picon was interesting. I could understand why Tyrol would want to save Boomer from execution. Doesn't it seem odd though that Adama still wants her in the brig, even after she essentially died for the crime of shooting him? But in the end, Boomer plays everyone for a sap. Tyrol swaps her with another Eight to save her from execution, and then she runs off with Hera! This was the plan all along! I do not understand why Boomer is SO evil now. It's like she's a completely different character (and keeping track of all the Sharons is starting to be very hard). I wonder whether Hera knew that it wasn't Athena right away, or did she have to wake up in a box before she figured it out. 

With Boomer being so bad, are we supposed to now think that execution was a good idea? Is the point of the story that compassion makes you weak?

Early on, I was thinking this was a pretty good episode. I liked that we were getting back to elements from season one. But then it became a Kara story and I lost interest. I knew that Hera's drawings would end up being music. The flash of the image during the end of the main titles solidified that for me. So I was just waiting for them to get there. I want to know who this piano player guy is and why he knows Kara so well. At first I thought he might even be her father, but that was never said. Then I thought maybe he's an angelic representation of her father, but everyone else seemed able to see him. So I don't know.

I was so afraid that the song she was going to play would end up being "Someone to Watch Over Me". While I'm glad it wasn't, I'm so sick of "Watchtower" being used again and again. I hope Bob Dylan is at least making money off the use of his song.

Why didn't we know until now that those things on the Galactica retract? That's cool! 

What began as a decent exploration of latent feelings in Tyrol devolved into a lot of Kara drinking and whining, more stupid use of the song, and a Boomer who is just mean for no reason. I got bored with the episode. I am glad that at least the opera house dreams are coming back into play.

No comments:

Post a Comment