Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Island in a Stream of Stars

I've only watched the extended version of this. There are a lot of good moments in it, but it drags in a couple of places. 

I am so annoyed that we find out that Cavil is at some other colony. There's another colony? And there's been one all the time? Why haven't we heard about this before? 

Baltar has apparently come to the conclusion that Head Six is an angel. I entertained this notion some time ago, and thought this might be where the show would go with her (especially since she outright said once "I'm an angel of God"). But when I really think about it, that explanation doesn't entirely work. Baltar continues to explain it by saying he sees angels in the forms of people he cares deeply for. Does that mean he cares deeply for himself? He saw a Head Baltar back some time ago. Was that an angel too? Why was that one a Baltar when all the rest of the time it is Six? Does Caprica still see a Baltar as well? Furthermore, I have a hard time believing that it's an angel's job to essentially have sex with Baltar with the frequency Six does in the early seasons. 

It was good to see Baltar actually doing scientific work again. Remember when he was a scientist? Of course, his experiment only leads him to proclaim that Kara Thrace is an angel walking amongst them, but it was still good to see. I'm still waiting for an explanation of the whole Kara is harbinger of death story. She is SO not an angel.

It was good to hear Anders say that again, but I don't like him as a kind of hybrid. It's just too weird. How did they get away with pulling him from sickbay and hooking him up to the systems? And the explanation that the gunk they are putting on the bulkheads is responsible for all the power outages is pretty lame. But I like that the lights flicker as Anders blinks, and I like how that wasn't explained for a good half hour. 

It's odd that Boomer finally discovered a maternal nature just as she turns Hera over to Cavil. It's funny that Hera projects the food in her hand as a cupcake. 

There came a point when Adama came to his quarters and started throwing paint on the walls until finally crying on the floor that I started rolling my eyes in boredom. We've seen this a dozen times before. How many big Adama meltdowns does this show really need? I'm just so tired of them. It reaches a point where it's no longer dramatic, it's just the standard Adama thing; it becomes a joke. I hope there isn't another one in the finale.

And now we have finally reached the finale. Soon, I shall be viewing the full extended version of "Daybreak", the much talked about end of the series. Will it be good? Unknown. Will it be satisfying? Unlikely. Will I be glad when it is all over? Undeniably.

No comments:

Post a Comment