Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Hub

Well, as the title implies, yes this is indeed the story of what happened with the resurrection hub. From the outset, doesn't it seem like the whole idea of a resurrection hub is just too easy? Like it's one big fat mcguffin to make the Cylons mortal. Remember way back in season 2 when "Resurrection Ship" told us if we just blow up the ship they won't be able to download. But then they just get other ships. So there's no way to prevent it without destroying all of their resurrection ships. Since that is a tall order, the writers invented a "resurrection hub" which controls all the ships. It's a terrible idea from a logical standpoint; if Cylon life is dependant on one central thing, that makes it an obvious target, no matter how much it jumps. It's an invention that, like the Borg Queen, betrays good sense for a quick and easy story focal point.

Did Baltar get a haircut? I don't remember his hair being that short in the previous episodes, but maybe I just stopped paying attention.

We finally get an answer about how the different Sharons knew so much about the others' backstories. I have wondered since season one why Athena Sharon remembers meeting Starbuck for the first time when that was Boomer's memory. We are told here that others of the same model can access memories of their sisters when they download. The Sharon (or should I call her 8?) with Helo tells him she accessed Athena's memories from when she last downloaded, and that's how she knows about her and has her memories. ...But I don't remember Athena dying and downloading, do you? All the 8s kind of mix up in my mind at this point. I remember Boomer downloading, but I thought Athena has been living uninterrupted since Caprica way back in season one. If this is the case, then the memories from her last download WOULDN'T include Helo, would they? I hate to have to be so picky. At least we got something of an explanation. Though of course this doesn't explain the knowledge that the Leobens and Sixes have.

Speaking of which, why is it that every model but Six is referred to by one alias? The Threes are all called "D'Anna". The Eights are "Sharons". But Six generally goes by Six, unless undercover, and she has used several different aliases. What's up with that?

I failed to bring this up earlier, but why WAS Boomer with Brother Cavil? What did she see in him? Why was she kissing him?? It was smart of Cavil to bring back D'Anna before the others had the chance to, though I suppose it backfired on him since he was killed. He constantly refers to the situation as a Cylon war. Maybe I'm being picky again, but isn't it a bit premature to call it a war? So far there's been an argument, some shooting, and one big attack. So that's a war? You started it, silly!

I don't like the fantasy sequences with Roslin and the old dead priestess. I don't really get the point of it all. She has to learn to love? Seriously? Is this a Cylon trick? Or is the series leading up to some lame Harry Potter resolution: the most powerful force in the universe is love? Why are the visions connected to the jumps? I thought jumps were instantaneous. Is Roslin gaining access to a world between worlds during the jumps? Is the priestess really there, or a hallucination? None of it really matters. I don't care! And in that vision, was Adama reading from Robinson Crusoe? It sure sounded like it, or was very similar. I hope it wasn't, because that's just one more element that doesn't make sense. We are to believe that they have Earth books, as well as Earth music?

I love the scenes with Baltar talking to the hybrid, and with Baltar and the Centurion. There's actually a continuity error with the Centurion. His little badge thing is on his right side, but there's one shot where it is on the left side.

I dislike that Baltar is wounded (yet again). Are we supposed to take the bleeding gash in his side as similar to Christ's? I'm inclined to say no, but thought I'd point it out. On the one hand, it's good to hear him express how he got rid of his guilt, but I don't think the explanation holds. Basically, he says he came to realize that he made a choice, but that God made the man who made the choice, and everyone is perfect, so he feels no guilt. That is the most ridiculous circular reasoning! I could buy it if it's just out of God loving him, and making him an instrument despite his flaws, but he literally says God rewarded him for destroying mankind! I've mentioned elsewhere how the perfection angle doesn't work. But Gaius is essentially saying that nobody should ever feel guilty about anything because ultimately it's all God's fault; he made you that way. It is funny to me that Roslin's actions sort of play off that. She says to herself, "Fine. Then I won't feel guilty for what I'm about to do," and rips off his bandage. Suddenly Baltar is all scared and begging for his life. But didn't God make Roslin perfect? Didn't he make her who made the choice not to help him? If Baltar were to die there, it would have been a cosmic irony. Of course, Roslin didn't let him die. She had to finally learn to forgive him.

That was a HORRIBLE joke the writers played on us! When D'Anna said Roslin was one of the Final Five, I was so mad. I'm glad it wasn't true, but how dare they do that to us. I wouldn't have put it past them. It wouldn't have made any sense, but then none of the Final Five stuff has really made sense. 

I just don't like Roslin anymore, so I'm tired of her story. I don't care about her and Adama. I don't care about her cancer. I just want her to go away. The episode was all right, but too Roslin heavy. And might I add: the whole point of going to the base ship was so the hybrid could tell Roslin about the opera house, and then forty minutes later, we still haven't learned anything about the opera house! So it was all one big dead end, and a waste of an episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment